Until the 19th century, religion played a significant role in university curriculum; however, the role of religion in research universities decreased in the 19th century, and by the end of the 19th century, the German university model had spread around the world. Universities concentrated on science in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Public schools of higher education
- Matej Bel University in Banská Bystrica
- Academy of Arts in Banská Bystrica - Akadémia umení v Banskej Bystrici an art school
- Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava – a school of technology
- Comenius University in Bratislava – the main university
- University of Economics in Bratislava – a school of economics and business studies